Saturday, October 4, 2008

Apple Picking



We went apple picking today. It was a great way to welcome fall. The orchard had a fall festival with apple cidar, hay rides, apple cidar donuts and of course all the apple picking you could handle. The kids really got into picking the apples and eating them as we were picking. Matthew kept saying .. Mom they are so juciy. The views were amazing from the top of the mountain.



So we have 30 pounds of Granny Smith and Red Delicious apples. Looks like we will be doing lots of different receipes with the apples. We also bought some fresh apple cider and homemade apple butter. After we picked the apples, we went to lunch at Mitchies Tavern next to Monticello. Wasn't as good as Kings Arm Tavern .. but it was historical.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

That's great! Where did you go apple picking? I have never been able to find a place in Virginia to do that! I would love to take L.E.L. next year.

Anonymous said...

wow - drinking cider in the orchard, lucky you!
What's Apple Butter? Never heard of that...
Kids look yummy as usual!
xx

3gand1b said...

Pics are soooooooooo cute...I wish I had been there...can't wait till the 18th!!

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

You're good! We WERE at the same one!! Carter's Mountain! Maybe I should start wearing a "Happy Homemaker" nametag!! What a small world!

Lori said...

What awesome pictures from your apple picking...it looks so beautiful there!!

3 Peanuts said...

Came here fro Happy Homemaker. We just moved from C'ville to Houston ad I am so homesick. Loved seeing these photos as I lived just a few miles from here.

Kim